Modernizing Your Cyber Security Approach with Center for Internet Security
In early 2017, NNT assembled a panel of experts to discuss the increased importance of applying the Center for Internet Security Controls as part of a modern approach to cyber security. The session also highlighted the benefits of combining the CIS Controls with ongoing, real-time compliance monitoring.
Key questions covered during the session included:
- Why are hackers still able to exploit existing known vulnerabilities?
- Why do you need to understand the state of the configuration of your IT estate?
- Why do organizations tend to prioritize focus on perimeter defenses at the expense of the actual systems that store sensitive data?
- What is the latest guidance with respect to Ransomware?
- Why is CIS relevant?
- Eliminating vulnerabilities by hardening comes with a health warning - what is the safest way to do it?
To set the Scene...
“Its still a tie in the cybersecurity war – the attackers get better resources as quickly as the corporate security team do”
Recent reports show the majority of breaches only need to be active for a period measured in days. One third of these take what they want within minutes, for example user credentials. The rest remain active to steal, for example, payment card data. By contrast, only 25% of breaches are discovered within a comparable period.
So breaches happen fast with damage done long before anybody knows anything about it. Better defences are needed, but faster/real-time breach detection is vital.